RULE NO.:RULE TITLE:
64B19-13.004Board Approval of Continuing Psychological Education Providers
PURPOSE AND EFFECT: The Board proposes the amendment to update the rule language.
SUMMARY: To update the rule language regarding medical error courses.
SUMMARY OF STATEMENT OF ESTIMATED REGULATORY COSTS AND LEGISLATIVE RATIFICATION:
The Agency has determined that this will not have an adverse impact on small business or likely increase directly or indirectly regulatory costs in excess of $200,000 in the aggregate within one year after the implementation of the rule. A SERC has not been prepared by the Agency.
The Agency has determined that the proposed rule is not expected to require legislative ratification based on the statement of estimated regulatory costs or if no SERC is required, the information expressly relied upon and described herein: During discussion of the economic impact of this rule at its Board meeting, the Board concluded that this rule change will not have any impact on licensees and their businesses or the businesses that employ them. The rule will not increase any fees, business costs, personnel costs, will not decrease profit opportunities, and will not require any specialized knowledge to comply. This change will not increase any direct or indirect regulatory costs. Hence, the Board determined that a Statement of Estimated Regulatory Costs (SERC) was not necessary and that the rule will not require ratification by the Legislature. No person or interested party submitted additional information regarding the economic impact at that time.
Any person who wishes to provide information regarding a statement of estimated regulatory costs, or provide a proposal for a lower cost regulatory alternative must do so in writing within 21 days of this notice.
LAW IMPLEMENTED: 463.001, 463.011 FS
IF REQUESTED WITHIN 21 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THIS NOTICE, A HEARING WILL BE SCHEDULED AND ANNOUNCED IN THE FAR.
THE PERSON TO BE CONTACTED REGARDING THE PROPOSED RULE IS: Allen Hall, Executive Director, Board of Psychology, 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin #C05, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3255.
THE FULL TEXT OF THE PROPOSED RULE IS:
64B19-13.004 Board Approval of Continuing Psychological Education Providers.
(1) through (2) No change.
(3) Providers of psychological medical errors courses must develop course content that moves beyond that which is typically found in the medically-oriented programs (i.e., wrong site surgery). In addition to including a study of root-cause analysis, error reduction and prevention, and patient safety, providers should discuss areas within the psychology practice that carry the potential for “medical” errors. Examples would include improper diagnosis, failure to comply with mandatory abuse reporting laws, inadequate assessment of potential for violence (e.g., suicide, homicide), failure to detect medical conditions presenting as a psychological/psychiatric disorder.
(4)(3) No change.
Rulemaking Authority 490.004(4), 490.0085(4) FS. Law Implemented 490.007(2), 490.0085(1), (3) FS. History–New 1-28-93, Formerly 21U-13.005, Amended 6-14-94, Formerly 61F13-13.005, Amended 1-7-96, Formerly 59AA-13.004, Amended 7-18-13, .
NAME OF PERSON ORIGINATING PROPOSED RULE: Board of Psychology
NAME OF AGENCY HEAD WHO APPROVED THE PROPOSED RULE: Board of Psychology
DATE PROPOSED RULE APPROVED BY AGENCY HEAD: July 22, 2016
DATE NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULE DEVELOPMENT PUBLISHED IN FAR: March 2, 2017
- Comments Open:
- To update the rule language regarding medical error courses.
- The Board proposes the amendment to update the rule language.
- Rulemaking Authority:
- 463.005(1), 463.005(1)(a) FS.
- 463.001, 463.011 FS
- Allen Hall, Executive Director, Board of Psychology, 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin #C05, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3255.
- Related Rules: (1)
- 64B19-13.004. Board Approval of Continuing Psychological Education Providers